Monday, March 11, 2013

The Quiet Game

When I was young growing up on the homestead, there wasn't a lot of entertainment to be had. We had to be creative and come up with our own. Wasn't to hard to do with eight energetic kids!

I usually was the babysitter when dad and mom would go into town.  I don't know who came up with the idea, but I would like to take credit, but don't know for sure, of the "Quiet Game".

So, when I found myself babysitting, I would always want to play this game with my siblings. We would all sit in a circle and roll this ball back and forth to each other for long periods of time. The rule was the first one to make a noise was OUT. Since we all have a little competitiveness in us, we all wanted to win. So, it remained quiet for a long time. The perfect babysitting tool :)

Ah...if only life was so simple today.  All 8 of us are now adults with families of our own and we all have experienced life. The deep pains and the deep joys. We will soon all gather for a funeral. My precious dad is soon to go home to be with Jesus. It can be this week, next week or a month...but it will be soon.

I wish I could take us all back to the days of "innocence" and just rolling the ball back and forth and smiling and playing together, but I can't.  Life has found us.

As we will all gather, we won't sit and play the "Quiet Game", but we just might all sit in a circle and weep together and share our hearts as adults and call it the "Remembrance Game".

1 comment:

akang bandung/ dzaro said...

yes.. I''m the fist on your post ..
you have sweet memories.. success always for you.. and greeting from me at Indonesia.. and don't forget to vusut my web back..:)