Friday, December 6, 2013

The Dimming Of An Era

Yesterday many of all ages gathered to say goodbye to a dear and precious man. One who had lived a good and active life, left a wonderful legacy, and had some hard physical last years.

I remember Brantley Edens as being a rock and a stable person from my childhood. He was gentle, kind, soft spoken, faithful, and was just always there. Someone you could count on.

Brant and Joan reached out to my family so many years ago and invested in us.  They mentored my young parents when they first became Christians. They had us over to their home, all 10 of us. The size of our family didn't frighten them away.

As I looked around the room at all the ones who had come to honor this wonderful man, I realized that a part of an era of my childhood is dimming. The ones I looked up to and were always there and solid rocks in my life, are becoming fewer and fewer. Many of them have gone now and only a few remain here on earth still...

It is a sobering thought to realize that now I am finding myself in the same place that I placed these ones in my life so long ago. I am their age and even older then they were, when they entered my life in the late 1960's. 

The torch is being passed to the next generation and to the next. May I be faithful, as these have been and clearly lived their lives with integrity before me.

Thank you Brantley for who you were in my life and the example you were to every life you touched.




1 comment:

Roberta said...

Very moving and inspirational.