Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Texts From The Trail...

I have always told my hubby that I would have never been one to go west. I would have stayed in the comfort of the east with all the conveniences and safety that it offered.

IF there had been cell phones back then, and IF I had gone west, these are some of the texts I might have sent to my mom back home.

getting awfully tired of the smell of cow chips

heard the Indians today and I am afraid

love the quilt you made me

the wagons are creaking along and we are number 7 in line

wish I had stayed in the East

lots of dust

tell dad I love him

I miss you mom

seems like we have been traveling forever

I miss having a soft roll of toilet paper

I do love seeing the stars at night

maybe someday women will be able to wear pants, it would be a lot easier than dresses

reading makes the days go by faster, glad I brought a few books

the wagon behind us has a passel of unruly children

I have found a few good friends, and we sit around the campfire in the evening together

Jim is doing well. He keeps busy, keeping the wagon rolling

Horses are doing well

What I would give for a nice hot soak in the tub


I often think of the women who braved the wagon trail to come west. I admire them. I am not tough. I would have cried myself to sleep each night, and wanted to "go home". Thankful that I didn't live during that time period when the wagon trains were headed this way...

I love conveniences. Plain and simple.

2 comments:

Tomi Jo said...

We go on a wagon train every June up by Isle, MN. We do have all the modern conveniences at night though!! The kids that come along will be riding horse & texting or talking on their phones, so I actually can visualize this!!

Natasha said...

Ha! I love it! My husband and I have been reading the Little House series over the past few weeks so I too can visualize!

(side note: those books are hysterical to read as an adult! Ma Ingalls cracks me right up. I think she had a little sarcasm in her. *laughs*)