Monday, August 3, 2009

Alaska Day #6




What a special day! We got up early and headed out to the Engebretsen homestead for breakfast with the clan. It was such a treat to be with them all again. We laughed and hugged and told more stories... What an incredible gift the Lord has given to me to allow me to attend and be a part of this special occasion. When I think of the Engebretsens, I think of family. They are so much a part of my young life. And each of them have impacted my life to some degree or another. I will always be grateful to the Lord that He brought our family to Alaska, to the River Bottom, and placed us in the path of this family. Today would be Edith Engebretsen's birthday. It is also the anniversary of the first day my own family moved into our homestead, August 3, 1965. Edith brought us down some green jello as a welcome. We were SO excited. As we didn't have electricity so we didn't have a refrigerator, so jello was such a treat for us. I am now even more motivated to write my own story of my childhood on the river bottom on the Anchor River.....
We spent a couple hours this morning looking over the old Engebretsen homestead and taking more pictures. After the last goodbyes and hugs and promises to keep in touch..... we loaded up in the car and headed back to Anchorage. We made a stop in Kenai to see our sister Vicki and had lunch with her. It was great to see her again.
Then we hopped back in the car, headed up the Sterling and Seward Highways and got back into Anchorage in the early evening.
I am in Anchorage for a couple more days and we have some things planned. One thing for sure is we are sleeping in tomorrow.
Alaskan By Heart, Terry
The top picture was taken at the end of the Spit. It is a sight that I will never tire from. The second picture is of all four of us sisters in a Time Bandit Crab Pot....

No comments: