Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Does Anyone Keep Their Word, Anymore?

Oh, Lord, who may abide in Thy tent? Who may dwell on Thy Holy hill? He who walks with integrity and works righteousness, and speaks truth in his heart. He does not slander with his tongue, Nor does evil to his neighbor, Nor takes up a reproach against his friend. In whose eyes a reprobate is despised, But who honors those who fear the Lord; He swears to his own hurt, and does not does not change; Psalm 15:1-4

Have we ever find ourselves committing to something, or promising something, and then we don't keep our word? The Lord has so impressed upon my heart to be a "woman of my word". I purposely pursue keeping my word, if I say I am going to do something, then I will do it. There are times, when life happens and things change or come up unexpectedly, and I am not able to do whatever I had committed to do, and let the person know and apologize for that. I am not talking about those instances.

I am talking about a continuing character flaw of promises and good intentions, but never keeping your word. Good intentions don't count. We all have good intentions. The simple answer is this: DON'T promise, if you have no intention of following through. Our words are so powerful. They minister life or death...

This is so heavy on my heart tonight, as someone's good intentions have effected my life again. And I wonder how my "good intentions" have affected others also. My prayer Oh God, is that I would always keep my word, even if it hurts me. Even if it is inconvenient, costly, demanding, boring, takes a lot of time, etc....

I am so thankful for the Lord's grace who continues to pour it out lavishly upon my heart. My He use me to minister life and not death to the ones that cross my path.

No comments: